Saturday, April 23, 2011

CLARAAAAA!!!

That was Spain, calling my name to take it back into my life, á la Marlon Brando in Streetcar Named Desire.
Continuing the ridiculous analogy of Spain as my romantic partner, I must share with you this picture:
...and reassure you all that we’re in the “Honeymoon Period” of our relationship once again. Apologies, promises, blaming, and gifts--glorious, glorious gifts of sunshine and well-endowed European men running around the beach in tiny little shorts. Ah, love...that fickle creature. Yes, Spain, of course I’ll take you back.
In all seriousness, I’m feeling much better. I just had a lovely day at the beach! Three hours of boob-burn-inducing sunshine and Jane Austen’s Sense and Sensibility has brought me back to high spirits. I’m looking forward to two more weeks of this: lazing about in the sun, working on my skin cancer, maybe even writing a page or two in my book. I think I’m the only person in my whole program staying in Alicante for the whole of spring break, and although I was initially embarrassed that I didn’t have the cajones and deep pockets to embark on a spontaneous international adventure, now I’m glad that I get to spend the whole two weeks just hanging out here, getting to know my city just that tiniest bit more before I have to leave in May. 
We’ve certainly had our ups and downs, Spain and I, but with such a glorious day as today, it’s hard to imagine that the forecast of rain for the week could possibly be true. After all, Spain told me it would really change this time. Honest!

In another news, here's a picture of the Cabo de San Antonio I forgot to put up last week. When you look at a map of Spain, it's that pointy bit on the East end north of Alicante that you see probing the Mediterranean. 

No comments:

Post a Comment