Thursday, March 3, 2011

Sweet Disposition

Dear Universe,

I had a great FANTASTIC day today. Seriously, it was awesome. 

First off, let me give you some background information. Due to erroneous and/or hyperbolic representation in the media, this is what I expected of European men when I came to Spain (I literally just googled "Spanish men" and this was the second picture of 38,300,000 similar results):


You know, some like...Antonio Banderas action, with the long flowy hair and rippling obliques that make me want to say, "To hell with feminist progress, of course I'll stay at home and make you a sandwich, you sexy Spanish man, you."

So, you being the Universe and all, you're probably already aware of this, but a startlingly-hilarious population of Alicante's young men actually look like this:


 And, unfortunately for me, most of the ones I've met act like this.

Thus the not-caring anymore about how I looked and just doing what I wanted with my hair. However...just when I decided that that's the way it was going to be, Universe, you decided to switch things up a little. I saw an attractive young man on the train to school this morning who didn't look like a douche-bag! Overwhelmed with joy over the fact that he didn't have crystal earrings, a spray tan, or frosted tips, I did something I haven't done since coming here and learning that doing this to strangers is generally frowned upon: I smiled at him.

Later, as I got off the shuttle that takes us from the train station to the university, I hefted my backpack and felt a friendly tapping on my shoulder. I turned around and the non-douche mystery man was there, pressing a piece of paper into my hand. Quickly, and with just a hint of accented English, he said, "This is for you," and walked away. Somewhat stunned, I cautiously opened it, expecting to see his phone number and something about getting coffee sometime. Instead, this is what I saw:



I just couldn't wipe the smile off my face the whole day! Mostly because A) he knew who Jean Seberg is, and B) she was one of the inspirations for my new 'do. Even if I don't really care what people about how I look, it's nice to have someone compliment you in such a specifically-desired way. Seriously awesome.

But wait! There's more!

I also had two tests today that I'm pretty sure I aced. And my headache from trying to quit coffee was less bad today. And my less class let out early. AND I got a Nutella sandwich in my lunch bag. 

All I can say is, fuck yeah, Universe! You rock!

Love,
One of your appreciative inhabitants

P.S.: Listen to this song to get in my happy mood (and try not to think about how much all of that shit that they're breaking costs). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su7ik94u9Yw

2 comments:

  1. AHHHHH! That is so cute! :D Glad you had a wonderful day, milove!

    And that song is basically Instant-Chill. It is impossible to be pissed/angsty while that song is playing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly, so I suppose the fact that they're breaking things and lighting them on fire is supposed to be ironic...or something...haha

    ReplyDelete